Sunday, February 11, 2024

Tasting- Landkastel Riesling 2022


Name: Landkastel/Landshut Riesling 

Variety: Riesling 

Region: Mosel

Country: Germany 

Year: 2022

Price: $6.99

Winery Review: "It’s easy to spot a Riesling lover because they’ll likely tell you multiple times (and I love them for that). That being said, there are certainly divided camps when it comes to riesling: Whether you prefer them bone dry or sweet. Landing basically smack dab in the middle of this spectrum, you’ll find the medium-sweet crowd-pleaser that is Landshut Riesling.

This Riesling is the ultimate “get you a wine that can do both,” because while it’s got a punch of honeysuckle sweetness, it also packs in a refreshing bit of bracing acidity and is still light on the palate. If you (or your friend) are a member of the Dry Rieslings Only camp, I have a feeling this perky, easy-drinking bottle just might have you questioning your allegiances." - Mackenzie Filson  // 87 Point Silver Rating - Awarded by Beverage Testing Institute 

Wine Folly: Riesling pg 158: This book recommends pairing it with spicy Indian or Asian cuisine and chilling it, both of which I ended up doing. It says that Rieslings typically have notes of lime, green apple, beeswax, jasmine, and petroleum. I tasted the green apple and maybe beeswax. German Riesling pg 159: Germany makes it acidic, aromatic, and intense with mineral, wet slate, and apricot notes. I detected all of these flavors, but only in the short finishing notes. It certainly was acidic with a very urine-like aroma. 

Personal Review: This wine has to be the most complicated wine I have tried so far. First, a review for this wine did not exist under the bottle's name. Instead of Landkastel, the title was replaced with Landshut. It was confusing but I was able to find a review. Second, the aroma was strange, almost like light acidic cat pee. Third, the first taste was an explosion in my mouth. I didn't think I initially would like it due to its slightly urine-like taste. But the second taste was much better. I didn't detect any of the cat pee, only a nice medium-bodied fruit flavor. It has an acidic beginning, peaking in the middle, and the aftertaste is mild fruit and a neutral flavor, likely beeswax. The aftertaste also has notes of apricot and green apple. We chilled this wine, which was a good idea. Additionally, I had this with slightly spicy Chinese food. I don't think the wine took away or added anything to the food and vice versa. I think that since the wine was already balanced the food just made it flat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner

My friends and I went to Zeppolis for dinner! We had not tried this restaurant before so it was initially confusing, but after asking a few ...