Sunday, April 14, 2024

Tasting- Yellow Tail Shiraz

Name: Yellow Tail Shiraz

Variety: Shiraz

Region: Southeastern Australia 

Country: Australia 

Year: 2022

Price: $10

Winery Review: Wine Spectator-South Eastern Australia- "This vibrant red shows juicy blackberry flavors and hints of spice, finishing with an open texture." 

Wine Folly: Syrah, page 172; This wine has notes of blueberry, plum, milk chocolate, tobacco, and green peppercorn. It recommends decanting it and keeping it at room temperature. It has high alcohol, acidity, tannins, and body with relatively low sweetness. South Australia Syrah, page 173; This specific type of Syrah has notes of blackberry sauce, fruit cake, sassafras, camphor, and sweet tobacco. It is also a very intense wine. 

Personal Review: This wine was like a punch to the face. Upon smelling it, it was acidic and lightly fruity. I knew it was going to taste bold based on its smell. The flavor was bold, with a big body and a very short finish. I can pick up notes of berry, plum, chocolate, and tobacco. Those notes are very strong and tend to clash. It is a relatively unbalanced wine. I did not taste sassafras, camphor, or green peppercorns as I do not know what they taste like. Overall, very bold and slightly herbally. I did not have this with food however I believe this would taste much better with a meal to balance it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner

My friends and I went to Zeppolis for dinner! We had not tried this restaurant before so it was initially confusing, but after asking a few ...