Thursday, February 1, 2024

Tasting- Old Westminster Solera Batch No. 4


Name: Old Westminster Solera Batch No. 4

Variety: Cabernet Franc, Syrah, Chambourcin, Marquette

Region: Westminster, Maryland 

Country: United States

Year: 2021

Price: $30

Winery Review: "A 'kitchen-sink blend' in the style of sweet sherry from a solera dating from 2011, delivering dried fruit, nuts, and butterscotch on the palate. Sweet. Drink now." - James Suckling, 90

Wine Folly: (epub version pg 384) Solera is a process of aging Sherry, so I will be looking at the notes of Sherry. I agree with the level of sweetness, as it is a dessert wine. I would say it was more full-bodied than Wine Folly ranks it, as it "filled" my mouth more than most other wines. I didn't get any notes of jackfruit or saline, but I could taste the acidity of lemon. The nutty flavor of Brazil nut and almond also came through quite nicely. I think that, as the book suggests, we should chill it slightly before drinking it, as it was room temperature when we opened it. It was incredibly hard to find any information on this wine, so I cannot narrow down what kind of Sherry this wine is. 

Personal Review: It was incredibly sweet, which is probably why it was so enjoyable. It smelled acidic and vaguely spoiled. As mentioned before, it was quite full-bodied and not dry at all. There were no notes of tannin. It was sweet from start to finish. Mostly tasted of fruit, particularly of cherries and other berries, perhaps even chocolate. I have to agree with the review's notes of fruit, and I can taste the butterscotch, however I would not have identified these flavors as nutty or like butterscotch. Unfortunately, I drank this with Indian food. This wine enhanced the spiciness of the food despite it not even being spicy, so it might be best to avoid spicy food. Additionally, it was not chilled, but I believe it would be best if it were chilled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner

My friends and I went to Zeppolis for dinner! We had not tried this restaurant before so it was initially confusing, but after asking a few ...